Chinese Jewish Heritage Tour (10 Days)
Hong Kong- Kaifeng - Luoyang- Shanghai- Harbin- Beijing
Travel through China taking an in depth look into the historic and present Jewish culture in China. From the ancient Kaifeng Jews to the Jewish settlements of the 20th century in Harbin and Shanghai you can have an inside look into their intertwined side of history and culture.
Arrive at your gateway city of Hong Kong where you will be escorted from the airport to the hotel. Enjoy a delicious dinner of local delicacies at a beautifully decorated restaurant.
Start your morning with an American breakfast, followed by a tour of Hong Kong Island. In the afternoon take a tour of the six-story Jewish Community Center. In the evening, enjoy a dinner with local Jewish families before retiring back to your hotel.
You will begin your venture into Mainland China by taking a flight from Hong Kong to the city of Zhengzhou, where you will transfer, by private car, to the ancient city of Kaifeng. This is where many Jews immigrated to from Mesopotamia during the Song Dynasty, more than one thousand years ago. The first Jewish heritage site is Nanjiaojing Hutong, which was the home to the Jews during that time.
Start your day by going to Kaifeng Museum to see the long history of the ancient city, where there is an entire exhibition room of the museum dedicated to the Jewish Heritage of the city. For lunch go to the home of a local Jewish family to experience local Jews’ everyday life. In the evening visit the Kaifeng Jewish Exhibition and a Jewish Cemetery.
In the morning take a scenic car trip to the city of Luoyang, by car, and see the famous Longmen grottos where you can see over 100,000 statues that were carved over a thousand years ago. These statues reflect Buddhist history and culture that is prevalent in Chinese traditions of today. In the evening take a flight to the bustling city of Shanghai. Once you arrive you will be picked up from the airport and taken to your hotel.
In the morning start off by visiting a synagogue that is still in use today and visit the Tilanqiao region, which was the Jewish settlement during World War II. In the afternoon take a stroll down Tangshan Road the center of the largest Jewish community in Shanghai. In the evening visit the breathtaking Bund and the French Concession.
Have a relaxing day where you can visit Shanghai’s hotspots at your leisure. In the evening you will continue your journey to Harbin, which held the largest Jewish Community in Asia during the 1920’s. Your guide will pick you up at your gate in the airport and assist your check-in at your hotel.
Begin by embracing the remaining legacy of the old Jewish Community by stopping by a Jewish High School, bank, and the Main Synagogue. In the evening visit the largest synagogue in East Asia, The New Synagogue that was built in the early 1920’s and is now the interesting Museum of Jewish Culture. At night take a short 1.5-hour flight to the Nation’s Capital of Beijing where you will enjoy the last nights of your trip in a private courtyard setting.
In the morning your guide will take you to Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City and Temple of Heaven. At night indulge in a delicious dinner including Beijing duck and other traditional Chinese dishes.
Finally, after a western breakfast, you will be driven to one of the most famous archaeological wonders in the world, The Great Wall. Spend the afternoon walking along the wall where you can see some amazing scenery. When you get back into the city center you will have the evening for shopping and leisure.
We will accompany you from your courtyard housing to Beijing International Airport for your return flight home.
- Private air-conditioned van in each city
- Bottled local mineral water on car
- Licensed English-speaking local guide in each city
- Admissions to the sightseeing places shown above
- International airfares and Domestic airfare
- Accommodation in each city
- Chinese Visa
- Gratuities to the guides and drivers
- Extra beverages
- Meals shown on own
- Luggage overweight (checked luggage limit for domestic flights: 20 kilos/44 pounds per person)
- A deposit of USD 500 per person is required to secure a reservation. Deposits are non-refundable, unless a trip is canceled by Destination China.
- Complete payment is required 60 days prior to departure.
- Tour prices are per person and based on double occupancy.
- Cancellation policy:
- 61 days or more prior to trip departure - Loss of deposit
- Between 45 - 60 days prior to trip departure - 50% of total tour price will be forfeited
- Less than 30 days prior to trip departure - no refund
- The prices listed are based on the costs and exchange rates current at the time of inquiry. Destination China reserves the right to adjust rates without prior notice.